The BS & UC was founded in 1895 by
a group of men who met on September 11 at the offices of
the New York Mercury
in order to provide "social and intellectual intercourse
and good fellowship among men of British education."
||Harrow & Oxford
|Rev. Dr. Parker Morgan
||Catholic Univ., Dublin
|Verner de Guise
||Haileybury & Oxford
|Hon. R.M. Stuart-Wortley
|William A.M. Goode
|Norman S. Walker
The original name was the Association
of British Public Schools & Universities Men in the United
States, the present name of the Club being adopted within
a short time.
The earliest Year Book in the Club's archives is for 1902/03
with the report of the Hon. Secretary, John R. Shannon of
Queens, Canada. The report indicates 'a rapid rate of increase
in membership' which stood at 202-members, with an annual
fee of $5.00. The report includes the death of Lord Pauncefote,
the British Ambassador to Washington; a dinner held on Victoria
Day (May 24) which included a toast 'from Cape Town to Cairo';
a dinner held on November 9, the birthday of King Edward
VII; an evening at Delmonico's on June 12 to celebrate the
successful conclusion of the South African War.
Guests of Honor at the dinner held on November 9, 1903,
at Delmonico's included the presidents or representatives
of McGill University, Princeton University, the U.S. Navy,
St. Andrew's, St. David's and St. George's Societies, New
England Society, Canadian Society, Southern Society, the
The report of 1904 indicates a membership of 223-members,
and the recommendation of an 'ad hoc' committee that the
Club should acquire a Club House. Subsequently, a letter
regarding a Club House was sent to all members but apparently
only 78-replies were received!
The annual dinner on November 9, 1906 was attended by 133-persons
including the British Ambassador, Sir H. Mortimer Durand,
and held at Delmonico's. on April 3,1907, a farewell dinner
was given to the outgoing British C.G., Sir Percy Sanderson,
whose address pointed out- 'that the BS & UC holds a
position in New York which no other Society can fill, inasmuch
while in other Societies certain restrictions as to birth
and descent exist, in the BS & UC British education alone
is the bond which brings us together in social intercourse
and good fellowship, in one Society, British subjects from
all parts of the Empire and American citizens'.
In 1908 the Annual Report. includes the death of Jerome
Flannery, a founder of the Club. It seems strange that at
the dinner on November 9 there were present His Excellency
Wu Ting-Fang, the Chinese Minister together with Mr. Ho,
the Chinese Consular General.
It would be tedious to record membership and dinners held
on a year by year basis. From 1905 to 1915 membership seemed
to stand at about 260-members with dinners held at Delmonico's,
the Arkwright Club, Chemist Club, Athletic Club, Brevoort
Hotel, Astor Hotel, etc.
On April 25, 1910, just 2-weeks before the death of King
Edward VII on May 6, the Club drank to the King's health
for the last time. With the paucacity of tickets for a Memorial
Service held on May 20 at Trinity Church by the British Societies,
the BS & UC sponsored their own Service on May 22 at
St. James' Church. Cables were exchanged with King George
V and Queen Alexandria, whose gracious reply is in the Club's
The year 1912 reported the death of a member - Dr. W.J.
O'Loughlin, the ship's doctor of the ill-fated Titanic. A
Memorial Service for those who died on the Titanic was held
in Trinity church on April 23 under the auspices of St. George's.
Following the outbreak of World War I, the Club decided
not to hold an Annual Dinner in 1914. Checks for $500 and
later for $1,198 were sent to the Prince of Wales National
Relief Fund, American Branch with another donation of $4,407
- not inconsiderable sums in those days.
The Year Book of 1916 reports that the dinner on November
9 at Delmnico's included ‘a most stirring address'
from Capt. I.H. Beith of the Argyll & Sutherland High-
landers-the Ian Hay of 'The First Hundred Thousand'.
Membership in 1920 was 424-members, and the BS & UC
moved into its own quarters on the top floor of the old Waldorf
Astoria, Fifth Avenue and 34th Street. The facilities were
formally opened on October 9 and consisted of a billiard
room, card room, reading room and office. Pictures and furniture
were donated by members. And it is reported that the first
Golf Tournament was held at the Upper Montclair Country Club.
Year Books in the 20's were consolidated to cover 2 or 3-years
of the Club's activities.
In 1921, membership stood at 539 members. A Golf Tournament
was held at the Ardsley Club on September 22, while that
summer BS & UC members were made honorary members of
the Staten Island Cricket & Tennis Club - the 'well-known
and old established center of British sport'. At the annual
dinner on November 9, an account was given by Major Vivian
Gilbert of his experiences of the Palestine Campaign. In
that year, a Billiard Challenge Cup was presented to the
Club by H.W.J. Bucknall of Uppingham College, the Cup alas
has not been seen for some years.
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next